Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Feet, Disney World and Jesus

I just got back from Disney World.  Let me just say this:  I had no idea going to Disney World would make me feel like a world traveler.  Let me explain.  Everywhere in DW are people speaking in different languages, people from all over the world.  It was kind of amazing hearing 5,6,7,8 languages that were different from mine every day.  I kind of think heaven might be the same way.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think DW is like heaven or anything but the idea that there will be people from all over the globe enjoying their surroundings, all happy and excitedly sharing with one another might be kind of awesome.  If it was awesome in DW imagine heaven.  Here's the second part; Apparently the average a person walks per day in a place like DW is something like 8+ miles.  As you can imagine, bringing the wrong pair of shes in not an option.  I started to feel it in my legs the very first day.  Sore, tired and my shoes......yuck!  Let me bring this full circle:  I was reading John 13 this morning. You know, the part where Jesus is talking about washing feet?  Peter asks him "Hey Jesus, why are you washing our feet?"  Jesus explains to him that Peter doesn't know what he knows about what is coming next and that if he does not allow him to wash his feet, he has no part in him.  Weird.  Peter doesn't want to be left out and says "Hey Jesus, if that's true, wash my head and my hands, too."  Jesus then tells him; "The one who has bathed does not need to wash because he is already clean except his feet." 


 I'm going to stop right there.  There is more after that but I think this is almost maybe, a picture of our lives, our walks, our paths.  Have you ever thought about your feet?  You feet take you everywhere.  Out your door and from one situation to the next.  Your feet have also taken you on a pathway that has, before you were a Christian, lead to sin. After we meet Jesus, really know him, and start to become like him, our thoughts change (Our heads are cleaned and we begin to think more Christlike), Our hands begin to try to do what is right by our actions (our hands are cleaned because of forgiveness and we begin to try and act more Christlike), but our feet?  They remind us of where we have been, our sin, our mistakes, our path.  They are still dirty. 




 The only person who can clean our feet and really make them clean, and forgive our past mistakes that we carry with us in each footstep forward, is Jesus.  Jesus continues: “Do you understand what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet.  For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you.  Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them. 
Would you go up to a stranger at Disney World, knowing they have probably walked eight or more miles in their old, smelly sneakers, and wash their feet?  Jesus would.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment