Monday, July 19, 2010

Summer Storms and Dreams


Last night a massive thunderstorm rolled through Albuquerque where I live. My sister and a friend of ours went to an old film noir and outside I could hear the rain pounding and the thunder clashing- inside, just a couple dozen people and celluloid flickering on an old screen. And I was thinking how many people have dreams for their lives- and what they're doing about it. Whether its working in Christian radio, owning your own coffee shop- or just having a little piece of something just for yourself- I wonder why we don't reach for our deepest desires more often.

Why do we dream- if we don't allow ourselves to reach for them?

I think these deep desires of our hearts and souls come from somewhere- I think that all the good we see flickering in this world is the glinting reflections of the goodness of Heaven. And that is what draws us and calls us to yearn for our dreams. Like magnets or umbrellas and rain- we go together- Heaven's love and us (in the deepest sense). And so it makes me wonder why we don't follow hard after our hopes and dreams all the more.

See, it's like flying- for a couple hundred dollars we can fly almost anywhere in the whole world, but most of us don't cross state lines too often. It's like we harbor our hopes inside while the world turns, and little by little, we convince ourselves that "the real world" is the only one we'll ever reach- the black and white, tasteless, odorless and mundane.

I'm not saying to give up on living life today, but I am saying- never give up what you most hope for- within reason, why cant we actually live them one day?

"Some people see things that are and ask why, I dream things that never were and ask, why not?" -JFK

No comments:

Post a Comment