Monday, August 16, 2010

But you have saved the best for last


Today I read in John (I like John...)
about how God saves the best for last-
how through Jesus we know what grace and love look like.
I liked the bit about the wedding feast at Cana- how Jesus' meddling mother pushed him to turn the water into wine. The head waiter said something cool- I'm sure you already know but I'll say it anyway- Most people serve the good wine first- then serve the junky wine after everyone is already drunk- But not God. Not Jesus.
After all the good stuff- after all the best times...
it's never, oh- and now it's all over- those sure were great times! but never more.
God knows our hearts- our deep places.
and even after we cant even feel it because we drank ourselves silly with all the old ways,
he gives us something more- better- greater.
It's how we know what grace and love is.

I think I took this home for many reasons,
but the foremost of them (at least, the one that's on my mind right now)
is something I was stuck on for a long time.
For a long time, I always thought my time during high school,
when God had me leading CrossFire - a weekly 50+ person Bible Study was it.
I had all these dreams and plans built around the Ryan I was then.
I thought it was the best God had to offer.
And when I went to Missouri for college
I went to the desert lands (spiritually speaking)
it was my Arabia.
God didnt speak to me like back then
I felt like I was dying
-so dry I almost forgot the smell of rain.
I was so full of life I got moldy.
And so in the humidity of the midwest I was dried out again.
I am convinced I am constantly, perpetually, being made into a new creation.
I dont know where I'll go or what I'll do-
But I know God always has even more to give and to show me.
That's how I see it.
That's how I know it.

I know that no one really reads this blog- but if you do, I hope you get something from it.

I dont know how to explain it- but it's best when it's raining. when it's quiet God says something to me.

When I prayed this morning while I drove to work that God would open up my senses to him,
then, at work, he is. Right now.

And I feel like I wasnt really living all the time before. I felt as if I had just gone from very small to very large- and the world was spinning all around me.

God has something better for me.

Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. Ryan,
    Someone did read your blog -- and I am praying for you and your bride everyday! God will reveal Himself to you... you are not alone in the desert places. I'm there myself. And God is with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks- im glad He never lets go.

    ReplyDelete