Monday, November 29, 2010

Because we have to...




Thanksgiving got me thinking about lip service-

I find it so easy to say what seems appropriate at the time- especially after we're all crazy with a short week at work and deadlines.

Christmas has me vaguely worried about getting gifts for people i love just because I feel i ought to... and sad that im probably too poor to get them what I think they deserve.

anyone else feel likewise?

It's funny how it works- I realize everybody and their mom gets all introspective and philosophical about the holidays and their meanings and junk... and I felt so restless about it... and now that it's Monday i feel so silly. Give me a break longer than a weekend and suddenly I feel like a brand new person...

Whatever happened to doing things because we really meant them-when giving from the heart wasn't a slogan on a Hallmark card?

What does it mean to get ready for Christmas?
We go to church and shop and watch holiday specials and then it happens... and we all hold our breaths for magic...

that's something I learned during my time in Missouri... something like this thick, quiet magic (like snowfall) cannot be canned and reproduced- because it's real. The Jesus we all learn about on Christmas- and the real goodness we are encouraged to show through gift-giving- well if its fake, it'll be obvious when you drive home on Christmas eve. It'll just be another day- another time- another year...

but if we love with our souls...
what a Christmas...


cheers
ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment