Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Choosing to Love


Today as I was driving to work I had an epiphany.  It may not be a huge groundbreaking, earth shattering thing, but I realized something as I was watching a flock of birds fly in the sky, against the backdrop of a beautiful sunrise.  Love is one of the only things that is a choice.  Just like those birds that choose to fly in formations, and understand the movements and behaviors of each other, and then give themselves up, just to be a part of it, Love, too, is a choice.  There are not a lot of things we choose in this world, contrary to our beliefs.  We do not choose where we are born, our parents, the year, time and place we are born into, our economic status.  We really don’t even have control over our dislikes, but we do choose who and how to love.  The way we love is a tremendous choice.  It impacts those around us.   We can have an effect on whom and how we love.  When we are in a relationship we commit to love, and hopefully, put ourselves aside, to show that we mean it.  God chose to love us.  He didn’t have to, but he made the choice to put our sin aside and love us, despite our mistakes and shortfalls.  So if loving is a choice, being loved or, accepting that love must also be somewhat of a choice, too.  Some of us choose to not accept love from others.  I’m one of those.  I push people away because deep down, I believed a lie that I am unlovable.  BUT I’m learning.  My husband had been the single most impacting example of love to me.  He makes me realize that he chooses to love me, everyday, unconditionally.  He shows me that I am worth loving, and that has made all the difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment