Sunday, January 22, 2012

Acts in Action: Mars Hill Church





If you live in the Albuquerque area, or the Portland area, or anywhere in Washington state, or Orange County, CA, you should check out Mars Hill Church.  Let me first of all say that my home church is Crestview Baptist in Albuquerque, NM, but out of an odd connection from friend at work, to small group to a schedule change at my husband's work, we have found ourselves at Mars Hill services on Sunday mornings at 9am.  A first I was skeptical, this church has been growing so fast and at random.  I have heard the pastor, Mark Driscoll speak through pod-casts when I lived in Missouri. He did a 3 year series on Luke and I caught a few of them when I lived out there because my husband and I could not find a great church, so we tuned in and listened as they broadcasted from Seattle every Sunday.  I thought he was a good speaker.  Now, due to our schedule shift and participation in a mars hill small group, we have been attending there and really enjoying it.  The new year has started with a series on Marriage, which so far, has been incredibly honest, thought provoking and challenging.  My husband and I have been married almost 3 years (in March) and we have found the first 2 sermons in this series really awesome.  It forces us to examine and ask questions in and about our relationship that have been lingering and silent for so long.  I really love it.  I also was incredibly inspired to see a short 45 minute video about the church planting that has happened through Mars Hill, predominantly in Washington, but going own to Portland Oregon (my home town :) and recently to Orange County, CA and of course here in Albuquerque.  It is incredible to see God moving this way.  If you compare the way this church is modeling its movement on Acts, it's kind of cool, I finally feel like "whoa!  I totally get it!"  It's like Acts in action and relevant to us!  I would encourage you to check out the mars Hill site and see what I'm talking about.  Check out the links below and get inspired!

This link will get you to the 45 minute video about church plants happening along the west coast and ABQ:

http://marshill.com/media/gods-work-our-witness/all-things-to-all-people

This Link will take you to the main website for Mars Hill, be sure to check out the Marriage series, it's cool for married couples and singles alike:

http://marshill.com/media/sermons

Get inspired!  try something new!  Feed your spiritual self!  If you want to check out a small group in your area, they have resources on the site, also. Enjoy your week!!!

Lindsey





No comments:

Post a Comment